Weekly Menu (March 30 - April 5th)

Isn't it amazing how well thought out plans are easily swept away? That's exactly what happened to my weekly menu last week. It started out a little rocky because we forgot to check to see if we had charcoal for the grill. My husband loves to grill pork chops. Well, he didn't have enough, and we almost succumbed and picked up food at a restaurant. He came up with a great idea to broil the pork chops instead. It's so good to be part of a team. (Remind me of that statement in a bit.)
The next issue occurred because I pulled the wrong chicken out of the freezer to defrost. It was supposed to be the BBQ pulled chicken but instead was salsa shredded chicken. The mistake happened because I am not in the habit of labeling the containers before putting them into the freezer. I always think I'll remember what each one is. Then one day I came to my senses. I mean come on, I can't even remember what I did yesterday! I labeled each of the containers already in the freezer. Well, it seems I mislabeled one of the containers. Actually, I mislabeled two of the containers. Not really sure if we'll find more surprise meals or not. Anyway, the salsa shredded chicken makes a great taco filling but unfortunately my husband really doesn't like it. I always thought his opinion was that it was "okay", but apparently in his opinion it's terrible because he refused to eat it. (This is where you're supposed to remind me that it's great to be part of a team.) 
The train never really got back on the tracks, with my dear hubby pulling a beef stew out of the freezer to eat instead of the BBQ Chicken I had already pulled out, to me pulling out what I thought was pasta sauce with no meat but actually had sausage in it....it's best to just start all over again.

So here is next week's menu, wish us luck!
Saturday - BBQ chicken sandwich and homemade vinegar based cole slaw. Note: yes, I'm trying again to have my husband eat this! It's already out of the freezer, and I hate wasting food. Also, I'll have the cole slaw on a fried shrimp taco. (During Great Lent we are allowed shellfish.)
Sunday - left overs
Monday - Chicken Alfredo for the boys, homemade vegan potato soup for me. Note: The Alfredo is a carry over from last week because we never got to it.
Tuesday - left overs
Wednesday - Creole Chicken and Rice for the boys, Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions for me. Note: again, we never got to the Creole Chicken dish. Makes for a great shopping bill!
Thursday - left overs
Friday - Steak and potatoes for the boys, left overs for me. I can actually turn any left over lentil and rice into a salad by adding dried cranberries, walnuts, parsley, green onion and a little red wine vinegar and oil.

I always have salad and salad fixings available and ready to go in our fridge. The salad can be added to any dinner or used as lunch. I also have homemade soups in the freezer which make nice lunches. Fruit is also in our house all the time, so again we have it with lunches or dinners.

I hope you find inspiration in the menu and if you are ever curious about a particular dish let me know and I'll post the recipe.

Comments

Popular Posts