Life's Plans

On my flight back home from a business trip in Massachusetts I read "The 100 Most Creative People in Business" in Fast Company's June 2011 issue. It really got my brain moving. All these people with the ability to persevere, to use what others might consider failures along the way as moments to get creative and find solutions to keep moving in their desired direction. I love that! It's so inspiring!

I'm a planner and a creative person. In some things I have succeeded because of my planning. Other times I have flopped around unsure of my direction, questioning my plans and my creativity. I have even been set on paths by others who saw something in me that I did not. As an example, obtaining my current role as product designer for Wilsonart would fall into this category. A friend of mine saw the job posting and believed in me and my abilities even when I was doubtful. It turns out that what others saw in me actually came to fruition. Seems my love of design, the design process, and my strong desire to always do my best and strive for a job done excellent is what has made me successful.

I think what I'm trying to say is having a vision, a determination, and a good work ethic can be a magical combination. Just remember to periodically revisit your goals and dare to dream and strive and push yourself to do your best. Remember too, that sometimes planning works, and sometimes you just need to go with the flow. Being flexible could open doors you've never noticed before, for you and your career development. Who knows, you just might find yourself blossoming!
One of the most beautiful Hydrangea I have ever seen. Captured in Mass. on my business trip.

Comments

Popular Posts